Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Slightly Less Simple Sweet Tea

This sweet iced tea recipe is, I admit, unorthodox, and uses what I'll go ahead and call my own blend of teas. I get my loose leaf tea from the Coffee and Tea Exchange, located on Chicago's north side, where the caffeinated beverages are much better than the baseball.

8 tsp. Chinese black (orange pekoe) tea leaves
2 tsp. Lapsang souchong tea leaves
2 quarts water
scant 1 cup sugar

As below, bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan. Remove from heat, add tea leaves, stir, and cover.

Let the tea steep for five minutes, then strain out the tea leaves (it's probably easiest to use a mesh strainer and a second saucepan). Add the sugar, stir, and allow to cool.

Refrigerate and serve on ice, with or without a lemon wedge. The lapsang souchong adds a distinctive smokiness, reminding me of Thai iced tea, which is also served very sweet.

Enjoy in moderation or risk diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment